In this regard, IOM has facilitated the voluntary return of Malian migrants stranded in Libya because of the crisis in 2011 and more recently the return of Malians affected by the crisis in the Central African Republic.
IOM also facilitates family reunification of refugees who will join their families in a third country and supports the migrants through research retracement information.
In addition, IOM provides assistance to victims of trafficking and migrants in distress identified in the Malian territory.
Key Facts and Figures
- 1,820 stranded Malian migrantsevacuated in coordination with the Malian Government from the Central African Republic
- 12,574* Malian migrants supported to voluntary return from Libya after the crisis in 2011
- 213 Malian migrants supported to voluntary return from other countries
- 481 returnees have received reintegration support
- Protection evaluations implemented in areas with high vulnerabilities in the northern regions
*Cumulative number from February 2011 to May 2014